*Serves 4 People
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 3 tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 of a small beetroot
- 2 teaspoon chana masala
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 sticks of fresh tamarind
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight. Then, cook chickpeas in a pressure cooker, slow cooker, or open pan for one hour.
- Bake tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, and beetroot for half an hour at 350ºF.
- Puree the baked vegetables in a bowl.
- Break up tamarind and soak in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Rub the mixture through a sieve into a container, removing whatever is in the sieve.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add cumin seeds, pureed veggies, chickpeas, and chana masala. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the tamarind pulp and coconut milk. Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the stove and add cilantro and garam masala.