- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 1 slice fresh mozzarella cheese (any type of cheese besides cheddar works)
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 slice tuscan/sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp marinara sauce
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Wash the eggplant. Wrap it in aluminum foil drizzled with oil and bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- When cooked, remove the skin of the eggplant and mash with a fork in a bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan, and sauté the onion and garlic.
- After a few minutes, add the tomatoes and cook for five minutes.
- Add the eggplant to the mix and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper atop the eggplant.
- Spread the eggplant on top of a slice of bread so the eggplant covers the entire slice.
- Next, spread the marinara sauce atop the bread. Place the cheese slice on top of the bread.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on the bread and toast until the cheese melts. Serve when hot.
*Remaining eggplant can be used to create more eggplant-parmesan toasts.